First Generation

1. Abraham (Wendell) VANDAL was born on 27 September 1758 in , Dutchess, New York.1 He was christened on 1 October 1758 in Albany, Dutchess, New York.1 He died on 12 November 1848 at the age of 90 in Ansted, Fayette, Virginia. Abraham was buried about 15 November 1848 at Westlake Cemetery in Ansted, Fayette, West Virginia. !BURIAL: Westlake Cemetery, New Haven, Fayette County, Virginia
(now Ansted, West Virginia).

BIOGRAPHY: !From the Revolutionary War Section, 8-595, Dept. of the Interior,
Bureau of Pensions, Washington, D.C., Nov. 30, 1921.
Statement of the military history of Abraham Vandal, a soldier of the
Revolutionary War, on file in this Bureau as reprinted in the Vandal
Newsletter of October, 1985.
State of Virginia, Fayette County - S.S.
On the 18th day of November, 1833, personally present in open court before the
County Court of Fayette now sitting, Abraham Vandal, aged seventy five years
on the 18th day of October, and asks, being first duly sworn according to law,
doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the
benefits of the Act of Congress passed June the 7th, 1832.
That he entered the service of the United States under the following named
officers and served as herin stated. He entered on or about the first day of
March, 1776 in the State Troops of New York in the County of Orange of that
State under Captain John Wiezner for the term of four months. All of which
term he served - he was engaged in erecting Fort "Constitution" on Hudson
River and preparing it for defense under Col. Livingston. But fought no
battles during this term.
About the last of July, 1776 he again enlisted in the State Troops of New York
for the term of five months under Captain William Blain, Col. Isaac Nichols
and General Gea. Clinton. He served during this term of enlistment, his term
expiring on New Years Day of 1777. He resided in Orange County and was
marched(sic) to the City of New York where he joined General Washington's Army.
He was engaged in both the Battles of Long Island and White Plains - the
division to which he belonged was called the reserve of Washington's Army -
commanded immediately by a Maj. Genl. Heath. After the Battle of White Plains
took place he was marched to the Peekskill - and there discharged, the company
to which he belonged being reduced to the number of six from about fifty.
On or about the tenth day of January, 1777 he enlisted for the term of four
months under Capt. John Wood & attached to Col. McLaughlin's Regiment.
He was one of what may be called a scouting party, guarding the country from
the depredations of the British and the Tories. His headquarters were at an
English neighborhood but was frequently moved backward and forward & from
Hackensack to the "Liberty Pole" and other places which the exigencies of the
times called them. He served out his term of service, was in no battles of
note but was in several skirmishes.
In the month of Aug. 1777, he was classed as a militiaman and served every
alternate month during the next succeeding summer & fall in guarding the
county of New York from the depredations of Indians, British and Tories. This
service was performed under Capts. McCauley and Shapard, Col. Haythorn was
command of the regiment to which he belonged.
He was one of the garrison of Fort Montgomery at the time it was take by the
enemy but at that immediate time he was out on a command. He served four
months during the balance of the year after the said classification. In 1778
he was occupied as a soldier in pretty much the same kind of service as he had
been in during the latter part of the preceding year. In the month of
February, he was one of the party who commenced the construction of West Point
Fort, where he was engaged six or eight weeks. He served during the year, to
the best of his knowledge, four months.
About the last of September, 1779 the militia regiment to which he belonged,
commanded by Col. Haythor, was called out en mass, and under the superior
command of Lord Sterling. He belonged to Lord Sterling's army when Col.
Baylor's Regt. of horse were cut off, but he was not a participant in the
engagement. During the year 1780, he was engaged in pretty much the same kind
of service as he had been during the two preceeding years in quarding the
country from the Indians, British and Tories. He performed a great deal of
drudgery, and his services was similar in the year 1781, guarding baggage
wagons and prisoners.
How long he served during these two years he cannot (with) certainty say from
the indefinite periods for which he was called into the service, but he feels
confident that he served during the war at different times, as stated, two
years and six months.
He has received discharges from the service and they are lost or misslaid so
that he cannot avail himself of them. He knows of no documentary evidence of
his service. He thinks he can produce some proof by a living witness. He
never received any commission as an officer. He was born in Dutchess County,
New York, on the 18th day of October, 1758. He has no record of his age now.
He was living in Orange County, New York, when called into the service, about
45 miles from New York City, and about 20 miles from the "Minisinky" where the
Indians were hostle.
In the year 1783, he removed to Rockbridge County, VA. He resided in
Greenbrier County, VA, 12 or 14 years, from which place he removed to the
place where he now resides, and has resided twenty one years. He is known to
William Morris, Esq., James Skaggs & Hiram Hill of his neighborhood, who can
testify to his character for veracity and of the general belief of his service
to the Revolution, there being no clergyman in the neighborhood. He hereby
relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present
and declares that his name is not on the pension list of the agency of any
State. Sworn to an subscribed this day and year aforesaid.
/S/ Abraham Vandal
Abraham Vandal Pension Record ----No. S9496 Certificate of Pension issued the
11th day of October 1833 to such Pensioner at Gauley Bridge, Fayette County,
VA Inscribed on the Roll of Virginia at the rate of 80 dollars.....Cents per
annum to commence on the 4th day of March, 1834.
Arrears to the 4th of Sept. 1833..........200
Semi-Anal allowance 4 Mar. 1834........... 40
Revolutionary Claim, Act. of June 7, 1832.
!From Cabins of the Loop and Environs of the Southern Half of Fayette County,
Virginia (Now West Virginia) by L. Neil Darlington, Dec 1987 PGS 210-213 as
reprinted in the Vandal Newsletter of April, 1993.
Abraham Vandal settled near the Seven Mile Tree, the only designation of the
place at that time. Later it was called Vandalia, Fayette Court House, and
In 1814, Abraham was appointed by the Giles County Court as overseer of two
precincts of road - one from the Two Mile Tree at the top of New River hill to
Arthur's old shop; the other from Thomas Arthur's cabin on the Bluestone Roda
to the Old State Road at the Seven Mile Tree.
The Vandal cabin is said to have been located on the site of the present
Fayette County National Bank, and a chalybeate spring referred to in a
description of one of the town lots sold from this tract, was probably the
settler's source of water
Evidence for extensive farming activity by the two Vandal families in the
1830's is seen in the possession of nine slaves, several horses and cows, and
large crops of grain. Their fields, pastures, and barns occupied the heart of
the present town of Fayetteville. In 1834, when Abraham Vandal gave to the
county a lot for the proposed Fayette County Courthouse, the site selected was
at a dead chestnut tree in Vandal's rye field, near the wagon road, and
opposite his new stable.
In addition to their farming, the Vandal's kept a tavern on their place where
travlers, including such notables as Henry Clay, and others are said to have
been entertained.
Abraham Vandal was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and, in the 18730's was
receiving a veteran's pension of $80 per annum.
Vandal is a Flemish place name, from "van-dal" signifying "from the valley";
the first Vandal, then was a dweller in the valley in Flanders.

!From the Roane County Reporter, June 25, 1925.
It appears that Abraham Vandal came to the Greenbrier region with the Army of General Lewis and there took part in the drill in preparation for the famous march that was intercepted by the Indian Battle at Point Pleasant in October of 1774. After the close of the Revolutionary War he established a home on the present site of Fayetteville, and for many years the settlement was known as "Vandalia", so named in honor of its founder.

!DAR Patriot Index, Centennial Edition.
Abraham Vandal's Revolutionary War record is documented in DAR Index Part 3, page 3042. His name is shown as Vandall which is not correct.
He is shown as NY PNSR or New York, Soldier Pensioned.

Abraham (Wendell) VANDAL and Mary DILLON were married about 1780 in , Rockbridge, Virginia. Mary DILLON, daughter of William James DILLON and Permelia Mary ROBINSON, was born on 31 January 1763 in , Augusta, Virginia. She died on 9 February 1840 at the age of 77 in Ansted, Fayette, West Virginia. She was buried about 12 February 1840 at Westlake Cemetery in Ansted, Fayette, West Virginia. !BURIAL: Westlake Farm, New Haven, Fayette County, Virginia
(now Ansted, West Virginia)

Abraham (Wendell) VANDAL and Mary DILLON had the following children:



James Abraham VANDAL.



Charity VANDAL.



John Dillon VANDAL.



Joel Worth VANDAL Sr..



Jamima VANDAL.



Edward Dillon VANDAL.



Mary "Polly" Hannah VANDAL.



Elizabeth "Betsy" VANDAL.