Vandal History Updates


Early Fayetteville, West Virginia
From the Newsletter, July, 2004
Excerpts from History of Fayette County
published in 1993

The original name for Fayetteville was Vandalia after Abraham Vandal, who kept a tavern at the
Fayetteville site as early as 1930.  It is told by Colonel G.W.Imboden, who received his              
information from his father-in-law, Colonel William Tyree, that when the vote on the location of
the seat of justice was taken, Hiram Hill, the first clerk of the county court, gave away a number
of one acre tracts of land without any specific boundaries, thus qualifying to vote the ones to      
whom they were given.                                                                                                                        

At the time under the Virginia government only free holders could vote.  The three locations     
voted on were New Have, Mountain Cove District, and Vandalia.  By this strategy the vote     
was carried for Vandalia and the county seat seat has remained at the Fayetteville site ever    
since.                                                                                                                                                 

Later the name was changed to Fayetteville.  The county itself was named after the famous     
LaFayette, the French nobleman, who aided the struggling colonists during the trying days      
of the Revolution.                                                                                                                             

It is said that Henry Clay at one time stopped at the old Vandal tavern.  One room of this      
primitive hostelry wa set aside for guests and all those stopping for the night, gbe they one   
or several, were required to sleep in this one room.                                                                    

In the early days Fayetteville was a mere hamlet, where the county officers resided, and,      
of course, the population was small.                                                                                             

A store, however, was opened early, conducted by one Oliver Waite.  Afterwards                 
Augustus Pack conducted a store.  Some time after the removal of the county seat, Miles   
Manser, at whose store in New Haven the court meetings of the county were held, moved   
his store to the new seat of justice.  James Phillips also conducted a general merchandise   
store here before the war.                                                                                                           

During the war period of 1861-65 there was a general exodus of the Fayetteville citizens.    
Only four houses were left after hostilities ceased.                                                                    

Fortunately the court records were taken away and thus preserved.  In this manner,            
there were saved from distruction all the early records of the county, excepting a very       
few.                                                                                                                                              

P.J. Lawrence opened a store soon after the war.  Then came the general merchandise      
establishment of Gus Montgomery, who sole out to W.G.Dickinson, at present in the         
merchandise business at the same stand.  The present Carter Brothers' firm began           
business in 1900.  In 1880 there were about one hundred and twenty-five people at            
Fayetteville.                                                                                                                               

The town was incorporated in 1883.                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                   

Fayette County Courthouse

From the Newsletter, April, 2004
This article appeared in the Fayette Tribune, June 27, 1983
Contributed by Robert Vandall



In September, 1978, the Fayette County Courthouse was accorded the honor of being entered on
the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.  Placement of this building brought official United  
States Government recognition that this site is of state and local historical significance.  Entry on
this National Register ensured a battery of federal protections to this property from federally    
financed undertakings which might damage or alter the historical character of this property;       
entry on the register also b rings eligibility for certain types of federal aid for rehabilitation or    
restoration.                                                                                                                                          

The Fayette County Courthouse, built in 1895, is a very good example of the Neo-Romanesque
Revival style made popular in the United States by the great American architect Henry Hobson
Richardson, that was popular during the late nineteenth century.  The courthouse was designed
by the prominent Wheeling architects Edward B. Franzheim and Millard F. Tiesey, to replace 
the one destroyed by fire in 1893, and contains bricks used from the previous structure.  Built
to accommodate a growning county government during the coal-boom era, the courthouse has
served as the center of administrative and political life for Fayette County for over 80 years.

The Fayette County Courthouse is one of the few remaining examples of the Neo-                 
Romanesque Revival style in this area of the state.  Though it's use of brick is not altogether
in keeping with that style, it's basement level use of rock-faced masonry certainly is.  The   
courthouse architecture shows a generous use of lintels and arches, belt courses and small  
                    ornamental panels between the second and third floors, along with it's stair tower and      
symmetrically placed brick chimneys which excellently personify the period style.  The       
courthouse is also graced on the exterior with porches of balustraded stone balconies and a
paneled brick parapet at the roofline, as well as an ornamented louvered belfry.  Cast iron
stairways, original 1890's tile, pressed tin ceilings, and five panel doors with decorative     
brass plates and knobs are some of the features that make the interior not only beautiful 
but of historic importance.  Situated in the business section of Fayetteville, the courthouse
is separated from other buildings by streets and an open area, so that it's view remains    
prominent.  Although additions have been made to the original structure, they have served
to compliment rather than conflict with it's unique and original design.                                 

Excerpts fromHistory of Fayette County published in 1993
Fayette County Courthouse;
Court Street, Fayetteville, West Virginia

The first courthouse cost approximately $3,000 and served the county until it became a  
victim of the Civil War.  According to war records, the courthouse was burned to the      
ground by Union forces on October 19, 1861.  A new courthouse was constructed shortly
after the end of the Civil War.  As the county grew, this building was not adequate so in
1887 funds were allotted for a new courthouse.  After only six years of service, April,   
1893, this building also burned.                                                                                            

The cost of reconstruction of the next new courthouse was $58,297 excluding the value
of the brick and stone salvaged from the burned courthouse.  The county officials        
proudly accepted this new courthouse (present one) on November 22, 1895.  The        
interior features a simple but dignified design.  There is a vaulted brick ceiling in the 
basement, a cast-iron stairway to the bell-tower, corner fireplaces, five-panel oak      
doors, fanlights above the entrance vestibule and court-room, and decorative brass   
plates and door knobs.  The floors are tile, the walls covered with solid oak                
wainscoting.  The exterior is distinctive, also.  Two porches feature heavy stone       
columns which support a balustraded balcony.  The arches in the second story          
windows and the openings of the belfry are graced by rock-faced stonework.  The   
belfry is a beautiful feature.  It representing both humans and animals are found on
the corner chimneys and also a circular design in the gable of the center dormer.    
Additions to the rear of the building were constructed in 1948, 1958 and 1976.        

It was accepted for the National Register on September 6, 1978.                              
                            
                                                                                                                                                          

Abram Walker Vandel
From the Newsletter, Volume VIII, Issue 3, January, 2002

          

Abram Walker Vandel, born 1846 in Galesburg, Illinois, died in 1908 in
Pleasanton, Iowa.  Abram served as a Union soldier in the Civil War.  He ran away
from home and enlisted at the age of 16.  His parents brought him back but
apparently relented and he again enlisted, serving until the war ended.  He was on
the muster roll of Company L, 12th Illinois Cavalry, which was mustered into U.S.
Service June 12, 1864 at Camp Butler, Illinois during the Civil War.



JOHN D. VANDAL
From the Newsletter, Volume VIII, Issue 2, October, 2001

In the July, 1990 issue of "The Vandal Newsletter", there is an article
titled "When Did He Go With the Mormons?"  The article stated that John Dillon
Vandal was reported to have gone west with the Mormons.  It appears that John did
join the Mormon Church.  On December 4, 1894 temple work was performed for
John D. Vandal in the Mormon temple at St. George, Utah by Henry William
Bigler.  Henry W. Bigler was one of a large group who joined the Church in
Harrison Co., WV about 1837 and moved to Missouri and then to Nauvoo, IL.
Henry was very close to the early leaders of the Mormon Church.  He was sent as
a missionary to Jackson Co., WV in 1839/40 and again in 1843/44.  He was a
member of the Mormon Battalion, a group of about 500 Mormons who enlisted in
1846 during the war with Mexico and marched from the Missouri river to the
Pacific Coast.  In California, before traveling to Utah, he was working at "Sutters
Fort".  His diary entry on Monday, January 24, 1848, is taken as the official
record of the date of the discovery of gold there.  He was called as a missionary
to the Sandwich Islands for the first time in 1850; was called as a missionary there
several more times, serving about 11 years.  He was later called on a colonization
mission to southern Utah and became one of the pioneer settlers of St. George.
The following informtion is recorded in the St. George
temple records on December 4, 1894.

John D. Vandal, born in 1786 in Greenbrier Co., VA, died in
October, 1851, a friend to Henry William Bigler.

In the block for the death date is recorded the words "was in the Church,
never gathered".  Church members were encouraged to move to where the
members were locating during the early organization of the Mormon Church.
It appears that John D. Vandal joined the Church but did not chose to "gather"
with the other members.  Henry W. Bigler did temple work for about 25 of his
"friends" from Jackson Co., VA in 1894.  This included Nancy Boggs (wife of
John D. Vandal) born in 1793 in Greenbrier Co., VA and died in 1858, and
Napoleon Bonaparte Vandal (son of John D) born in Fayette Co., VA and
died in 1864.  Napoleon had also joined the Mormon Church.

These "friends" of Henry W. Bigler were probably people who he had
baptized or had shown interest in the Church during his time as a missionary
there in 1839/40 and 1843/44.  Some of these people lived in the part of
Jackson County that became Wirt County in 1848 since they are close
neighbors in the 1850 Wirt Co. census including John D. Vandal, Napoleon B.
Vandal, William and Delila Roach, Mary Parsons Carney, Silas B. and
Margaret Seaman, and Beniah Depue.

Submitted by Phyllis W. Harmon



VANDALIA AT 20:
WHAT'S IN THE NAME?
From the Newsletter, Volume VII, Issue 8, April, 2001

          Vandalia visitors often ask about the name.  Answering the question requires
a trip back to the earliest roots of West Virginia - to the time of British
King George and his German queen; Ben Franklin and his compatriots;
of land deals and western settlement; and of the awakening desire for a free
government in the mountains.
Vandalia was a proposed British-American colony west of the Eastern
Seaboard, one of several land settlement projects from the late Colonial
period.  These schemes arose out of the general ferment of the years
between the French and Indian War and the American Revolution, as
settlers moved beyond easy reach of eastern governments.  The dream
of separate western governments was realized in different form after the
Revolution, with the creation of the of the states of Kentucky, Tennessee
and Ohio.  What is now West Virginia, through its long history of
dissatisfaction with the government in Richmond, can trace its origins
back to these pre-Revolutionary desires for western independence.
     The Vandalia Colony originated in the land speculation of influential
Englishmen and prominent Colonial Americans, some of whom became
America's Founding Fathers.  In 1768, Benjamin Franklin was one of the
organizers of the Great Ohio Company, which sought to acquire Ohio
Valley lands for settlement.   Franklin's group proposed the creation of
Vandalia as a 14th colony, with its capital at Point Pleasant.  The new
colony would have included almost all of present West Virginia, except
for the Eastern Panhandle, and much of Kentucky.  In 1773, George
Washington cited the possible establishment of Vandalia in advertising his
Kanawha River lands for sale.
                                                                                                                                               The proposed Vandalia colony was named as a political gesture to
QueenC harlotte, wife of George III, who claimed descent from the
Vandal Tribe through her birth to German nobility.  The Vandalia
backers brought their plans almost to success in the early 1770's,
when deterioration of the American political situation made the British
government back off.  When those problems were resolved by the
Revolutionary War, King George was in no position to authorize
governments of any sort in the American West.
     Thus the word Vandalia is rich in West Virginia heritage.  It occurs as a
place name in several parts of our state, and it makes a fitting name
for the statewide folk festival dedicated to keeping the old ways alive.
Ken Sullivan
Goldenseal  67
Submitted by Willa Vandall


James Lloyd Vandall
From the Newsletter, Volume VII, Issue 6, October 2000

James Lloyd Vandall married Betty Willey and they had two children.  Renata married
a Wiseman and they have a daughter, Jessica.  James Brady Vandall is their son.
James Lloyd Vandall adopted Betty's son Michael Willey, who has one daughter and
one son.  James and Betty were divorced and James then married Betty Dunn.
Phyllis Eudora Vandall married James Lewis Foster on August 27, 1960.  They have
two daughters, Jennifer and Laurie.  Phyllis is the daughter of U. Earl and Ina Vandall.
The youngest son of Earl and Ina Vandall is Danny Brown Vandall.  His wife is Jane
Ella Lemmon.  Their daughter is Melinda Jane Vandall Gore and her husband is Jason
Gore.  Dannny Wayne Vandall is the son of Earl and Ina Vandall.



Charles Dillard Vandell Family
From the Newsletter Volume VII, Issue 5, July 2000

Charles Dillard Vandell (Thomas James 5, Thomas Stewart 4, Joel Worth 3,
Abraham 2, James  Earl 1) was born May 12, 1890 in Decatur County, Iowa.
Married Feb. 18, 1914 at Corydon, Iowa to Dora Elizabeth Casey, daughter
of Ashbel Green and Caroline Centna (Owen) Casey; born Sept. 19, 1889 on a
farm 4 miles northwest of Clio, Iowa in Wayne County.  Charles Dillard was a
farmer all his life - went to North Dakota and staked and claimed but stayed
less than 2 years.  Retired in 1966 from his farm 5 miles southwest of
Humeston, Iowa - purchased the McCollough property in southeast Humeston
and moved Nov. 1966.  He was a member of Christian Church and Dopra was a
member of the Highland Baptist Church.  Dora died Sept. 10, 1944 at age 54.
She had a stroke 2 years before.  Buried at Clio Cemetery South side of road.

Children:
1.  Carl Ralph, born Feb. 16, 1915 Wayne County, Iowa
2.  Clara Iomogene, born Feb. 28, 1916 Wayne County, Iowa
3.  Evelyn May, born April 4, 1917 Wayne County, Iowa
4 & 5.  Ruth Eleanor & Ruby Caroline (twins) born Aug. 15, 1918 near
Lineville, Iowa
6.  Roy Dale, born March 7, 1920 died June 11, 1940 Wayne County
7.  Dwight Wayne, born June 15, 1921 in Mercer County, Missouri
8.  Kenneth Green, born Sept. 8, 1922 in Pembina County, N Dakota
9.  Alta Maria, born Jan. 18, 1924 in Wayne County, Iowa
10. Robert James, born May 10, 1925 near Lineville, Iowa
11.  Erma Faye, born Sept. 8, 1926 near Clio, Iowa



From the Newsletter Volume VI, Issue 3, Dated January, 1998
MARGARET JEAN WOLFORD
40. Charlemagne 747 - 813/14
39. Peppin, King of Italy - 781
38. Bernard, King of Italy - 797
37. Peppin II - 817
36. Herbert I, deComte deVermondois ca. 840
35. Beatrice Vermandois ca. 931
 34. Hugh the Great - 895 - 956
 33. Hugh Capet, King of France - 940 - 996
32. Robert II, King of France 972 - 1031
31. Alex deFrance - 1097
30. Judith of Bavaria - 1094
29. Henry III (The Black) - 1026
28. Henry IV (The Proud) - 1139/41
 27. Henry V (The Lion) - 1195
26. Henry VI (The Younger Welf) - 1097/1200
25. Agnes m. Othan Duke of Bavaria
24. Agnes m. Hellin deFranchimont - 1139
23. Hellin deFranchimont - 1310
22. Jean deFranchimont
21. Hugh deLannoy Dite deFranchimont ca. 1399
20. Hugh deLannoy
19. Jean I deLannoy
  18. Antoine Signeur deMaingoval m. 1497
17. Jean III Signeur deMaingoval - 1429-28
16. Jean IV deLannoy, Segneur deMaingoval
15. Claudine deLannoy m. Charles duBois deFiennes m. 1506
14. Antoine duBois deFiennes
13. Charles duBois deFiennes - 1507
12. Jean duBois deFiennes ca. 1566
11. Cretien deBois deFiennes - 1597-1628
10. Louis duBois - 1626-1693
9. Sara duBois m. Joost Jan VanMetre
       1663-1726              1665-1706
8. John VanMetre - 1683-1761
7. Elizabeth VanMetre m. Thomas Sheppard
1706-1793                1705-1776
6. Jonathan Sheppard - 1760-1808
5. Samuel Sheppard - 1803-1893
4. Rebecca Sheppard m. Andrew L. Vandale
  1833-1923             1827-1906
3. Rector Wiseman Vandale m. Elizabeth Rimmer
 1894-1941
2. Rector Doyle Vandale m. Margaret Burke
1894-1947
1. Margaret Jean Vandale m. James Wolford
1923                               1919
Her daughter -
Martha Jean Wolford m. Eugene Charles Gieseler
1942                             1937
Her Grandson -
Charles James Gieseler - 1977
Submitted by Jean Vandale Wolford


SHIRLEY PUFFER
Shirley Puffer is the daughter of Thomas F. Vandel,
         grand daughter of Thomas James Vandel,
              great grand daughter of Thomas Stuart Vandel.
Thanks Shirley for helping with this connection. Please send in a Family Group Sheet to help make it more complete.

From the Newsletter Volume VI, Issue 2, Dated October, 1997.

MORE INFORMATION ON ABRAHAM'S ANCESTORS FOUND

Searching for more information on Abraham's ancestors, I tried looking through the archives of a company named Broderbund Software. I located a man named Hendrikus Wendel, which we believe is the name of Abraham's father. They showed that there was a CD available under "Family Tree Maker's World Family Tree", Volume 8 that had a pedigree which included his name. I ordered the CD and found that parts of it agreed exactly with what we already had on Abraham's ancestors but had more detail. It looks like it may have been prepared by the Du Trieux family. Susanna Du Trieux was the wife of Evert Jansen Wendell. So, briefly, the information goes like this:

HENDRIKUS WENDEL, FATHER OF ABRAHAM VANDAL

Born August 3, 1719, he was the tenth son of twelve children of Abraham Wendell and Katrina De Kay. All the children are named and their spouses and dates.

ABRAHAM WENDELL, FATHER OF HENDRIKUS WENDEL

Born December 27, 1678 in Albany, NY, he was the first of eleven children of Johannes Wendell. All the children are named and their spouses and dates - some locations. He died September 28, 1734 in Boston, Mass. He married Katrina De Kay on May 15, 1702 in New York. He was an importer.

JOHANNES WENDELL, FATHER OF ABRAHAM WENDELL

Born February 2, 1649 in New Amsterdam, (now called Manhattan Island). He was the third of nine children of Evert Jansen and Susanne Wendell. He died November 20, 1691. His wife was Elizabeth Staats whose parents were Abraham and Catrina Jochemes Wessel Staats. Her first husband was Johannes Schuylen. It is possible that some of the children listed as being born to her and her second husband were actually children from her first marriage whom her second husband adopted. She died on June 3, 1737. Johannes Wendell was Justice of the Peace and Mayor of Albany, New York and a large land owner.

EVERT JANSEN WENDELL, FATHER OF JOHANNES WENDELL

Born in 1615 in Emblen, East Friesland, he died in 1709 in Albany, New York. On July 3, 1644, he married Susanna Du Trieux in Montgomery, New Amsterdam. She was born in 1626 in New Amsterdam and died in 1660 in Ft. Orange (Albany), New York. Susanna's parents wee Philippe Anton and Susanna Du Chesne Du Trieux. Quite a bit is written about Philippe Du Trieux and won't be covered here except to say that he was born in Robaix, Belgium, emigrated to Holland and then to New Amsterdam in 1624 on the ship "New Netherland". Evert Jansen Wendell is shown to have been an orphan. He was in the service of the Dutch West India Company in 1640 and a master in 1657. He came to America in 1640 and to Ft. Orange in 1651. He was buried under the old church then standing at the corner of Yonker and Handelser St. (State and Broadway) in Albany, NY.

submitted by Chuck Hield



                                  Return to the Vandal Family Home Page

If you have comments, additions or corrections,
please email the Family Historian Webmaster.



This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold